Sunday, June 19, 2011

(Saturdays Post) The Litmus Test...

Dear Readers,

So sorry this post is late, I think everything is finally catching up with me and I was not feeling well and went to bed early. Anyway, out of all the posts I have written thus far this is the one I am most excited about! So, Treatments went very well, and Bret went in the Tank with Tanner & Kadin both times. If your wondering why we treated on this Saturday it was to make up for a scheduling mistake by staff and in order to get our 40 "dives" in we needed to come in on a Saturday. I was glad that they chose this Saturday because I really wanted Bret to experience what we were doing with the boys etc. I also really enjoyed the fact that I had the opportunity to talk to the technician who has a son with Autism and as gone through the treatments. Erin, the technician, also shared other stories with me about many other families that have had wonderful success with Hyperbarics. After both treatments were done we all went to the park and then swimming at the park when Kadin was done he ran out towards the van and I ran after him, I said, "Kadin, you don't leave the park without mom!" He looked very hot and tired and I said, "Do you want mom to hold you?" and he help up his arms and said, "Hold you." I picked him up and he put his head on my shoulder and we got into the van. I was excited that there was no screaming involved and he simply asked for me to hold him. Later in the afternoon around 5:45pm we had planned on going bowling. Now this was our, or rather my, litmus test. Keep in mind I would NEVER suggest bringing the whole family bowling, Kadin in particular, but I wanted to see how the Hyperbarics was working for kadin in public situations. Before we left for the ally, which is literally across the parking lot, I said to Rebekah, "This may be a quick trip, could you be ready to take Kadin back to the hotel if he starts freaking out?" Of course Rebekah was prepared to take him and we both didn't expect him to last 15min. I was shocked at how well he did and how calm he was. We all kept commenting on how well Kadin and Mitchell was doing. He did not last the whole game. But Kadin did bowl 6 frames and Mitchell bowled a whole game! We were so proud of all the kids and after Kadin was finished he walked up to me and and said, "Burrr, its cold." as he wrapped his arms around his body. then I said, "Do you want to go back to the hotel?" and he said as he looked at me, "Walka my home." I was so shocked and said, "What honey?" Then he repeated, 'Walka my home." I turned to Bret and said, "Kadin is done and he wants to go back to the hotel. I could have cried right there. In the past this bowling trip would have never taken place due to Kadin's inability to coupe with the noise of the balls hitting the pins, the loud music, the people and all the other things go on at a bowling ally. The fact that he didn't have one screaming outburst at the ally is a miracle and when he was done he verbally let me know he wanted to go back to the hotel. This is a GIANT accomplishment for Kadin and for our family!! I will remember this day for the rest of my life! I am going to post a video of Kadin bowling on my facebook page and a few other photos from treatment today. Continue to pray for us as we finish our treatment here in Wisconsin. Thank you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment