Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A whirlwind of a ride!

Dear Readers,

It has been to long since I last wrote and I want to let you the great things that have and are happening with Kadin and Truman.

Truman arrived at our house on Thursday Aug. 11th at 10am. We met Dora (the trainer) out side aloong with the channel 9 news reporter and the camera man. Truman was very excited and Kadin was a little hesitant to go up to him. (It usually takes Kadin a while to warm up to a dog he has just met.) I crossed my fingers and prayed that this meeting would go well. We hung out outside for a bit then we proceeded inside to show Truman his new pad! Kadin and Truman seemed to get more and more excited as the meeting went on. We sat in the boys room and we gave Truman some of his new toys. I wish I would have taken a picture of Kadin's face, his smile was so big and his laugh was unforgetable. Trumans favorite toy,aside from the tennis ball, is the squeeky pheasant bird Kadin got from his aunt to give to his new dog when he arrived. While Truman was squeeking his new toy Kadin got down next to him and slowly layed over Trumans belly. This was the true test Truman didn't even flinch! So far the interview/ meeting with Truman was going beyond good and the reporter and the rest of us were thrilled! The next test was putting Kadin's belt on and clipping it to Truman red Service dog vest. To be honest I thought for sure Kadin would through a fit if I attemped to but the belt around his waste, I got the belt on and Kadin did not like it at all BUT to everyone's surprise he walked down the stairs to proceed outside to take his first walk with Truman. I clicked the tether onto Trumans vest and we proceeded to walk down the sidewalk. They both did GREAT!! Kadin did cry and fuss the whole time but he pushed through and followed my direction and held onto the handle on the vest! We finished up the interview and then everyone left but Truman!! Yah! he is finally here in our home!! The past several days we have been working on the bonding between the two. Kadin is the only one allowed to feed Truman and give him treats. Truman also slept in the boys bed the first night and every night since. Last Saturday night it was just Kadi and I at home and He and Truman has some real quality time, I even had to give Truman a break from Kadin because Kadin wouldn't stop trying to lay on him and grabbing his legs. The best part of Saturday night was, Kadin and Truman slept all night in there room and this has not happened for a very long time. Kadin most always wakes up during the night and comes in our room. Truman has even made his way into my husbands heart and I love seeing Bret play with him. Kadin has also been doing a great job with feeding Truman, he use to cry and fuss when we would make him come feed him, but now in the morning I say, "Kadin, Truman wants to eat breakfast. Please come feed him." and Kadin will put down his legos (which is unheard of) and walk quietly into the kitchen and give him his food. The daily practice walks are also getting better. Words cannot express the joy in my heart to see Kadin with his new helper and friend. Our family is so greatful for this huge blessing that God has brought into our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment